Blue Dot Hamilton will mobilize individuals and communities within the City of Hamilton to build a widespread constituency that supports all Citizens’ Rights to a Healthy Environment. This includes the passing of a made-in-Hamilton Declaration by City Hall no later than April 22, 2015. It will also be achieved through presentations, petition signatures, strategic meetings, positive correspondence with members of Council, the endorsement of a wide variety of organizations, the engagement of youth, and a follow-up community celebration and video.
BLUE DOT MOVEMENT – NATIONAL GOALS
* To have municipalities across Canada issue Declarations as to their citizens’ right to a healthy environment.
* To subsequently have provinces across the country include their citizens’ rights to a healthy environment in an Environmental Bill of Rights.
* Within five years, to request an amendment to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms that entrenches our citizens’ rights to a healthy environment, namely, access to clean air, fresh water, healthy food, nature, information about local pollutants, and the right to participate in environmental decision making.
BLUE DOT MOVEMENT – HAMILTON GOALS (Revised January 10, 2015)
* To have the City of Hamilton pass, by April 22, 2015 (Earth Day) a Declaration of its Citizens’ Rights to a Healthy Environment
* To build widespread awareness of and support for this Declaration as part of our City, Province and Country
* To ensure that the City develops a plan to enact this Declaration.
HOW YOU CAN HELP US!
Here, in ascending order from shortest & easiest to longer and more demanding, are a list of ways that you can help make the BLUE DOT DECLARATION a reality for Hamilton. Please help out where you can!
1. Click here<http://HamiltonBlueDot.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=f039aae203a599b2c55ce1fde&id=e85f4d1011&e=86b44868c0> to download the blue “STAND UP FOR HAMILTON” FLYER to all your local friends and acquaintances, urging them to sign up online.
2. Click here<http://HamiltonBlueDot.us10.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=f039aae203a599b2c55ce1fde&id=ddc3bd3495&e=86b44868c0> to download the Blue Dot PETITION and get family, friends, etc., to sign up. Please scan and email completed sheets to: firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>
3. EMAIL YOUR COUNCILLOR – Create a 3 – 4 sentence email and send it to your area Councillor (Click Here for the contact information all Councillors<http://HamiltonBlueDot.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f039aae203a599b2c55ce1fde&id=64a11affa7&e=86b44868c0>). Be positive. Identify yourself as a ward resident and tell your Councillor how excited or pleased you are at the prospect of Hamilton City Council passing this Declaration, not only for current but also future Hamiltonians. Point out that this Declaration is not legally binding on the City, but it is a statement of principle that you strongly support. In the cases of Councillors Farr, Green, Johnson, Merulla, and VanderBeek, specifically thank them for their already declared support of this motion. Councillors Jackson and Whitehead are likely to oppose the motion. Councillor Pearson has concerns that will hopefully be allayed before the next GIC meeting. The position of the remaining seven Councillors is not clear at this time.
4. ATTEND THE FEBRUARY 18, 2015 GIC MEETING in Council Chambers at Hamilton City Hall. The meeting starts at 9:30 a.m. and our two delegations are likely to occur within the first hour and it would be great if you were there to show your support in a polite and positive fashion. Depending on its placement in the agenda, consideration of the Motion could be early or late in the meeting.
5. Dependent on a successful outcome at the February 18 GIC meeting, the Declaration could come before a REGULAR COUNCIL MEETING AS EARLY AS FEBRUARY 25, 2015. If this is the case, it would be great to have a sizable turnout for this meeting.
6. Attend our core group planning meeting this Tuesday February 10th between 7 and 8:30 p.m. on the fourth floor of the Hamilton Central Library.
PLEASE HELP OUT HOWEVER YOU CAN!
Hamilton Blue Dot Movement
55 Hess St S
Hamilton, On L8P 4R8